What is Coco Peat?
Cocopeat is a growing medium made from coconut husk that can be used for a variety of purposes. The fibrous coconut husk is pre-washed, machine-dried, sieved, and removed of sand and other contaminants like animal and plant residue. Cocopeat is a great substitute for peat moss and rock wool. Its excellent water holding capacity and air-filled porosity make it a suitable growing medium for plant crops. When compared to soil, the cocopeat stores far more water and releases it gradually to plant roots.
Coco peat was first used in horticulture in the early 1990s, and demand for the material has risen steadily since then. They are also known as Coco Coir in the United States and Coir Pith in the Middle East. They are commonly referred to as Coco Peat.
Normally, one-third of the husk is made up of the fibers that surround the coconut kernel. The remaining two-thirds are made up of dusty substances that are exceptionally nutrient-dense. A number of entrepreneurs are now looking at the possibility of using cocopeat in a variety of goods. It has become a popular choice for hydroponic (soil-free) production.
Because it is porous, it allows for improved aeration of the roots. When cocopeat is made into pots and pans, it can be used as a soil substitute as well as a plant holding. These pots might also be used to create vertical gardens by hanging them from balconies or arranging them on screens.
How Coco Peat Powder Works :
- It cannot be used as direct manure in agriculture or horticulture, because of which mobilization of nutrients becomes a little difficult.To directly use coco-peat as manure in agriculture it has to undergo compost process.
- It has a high amount of naturally occurring salts. It should be washed properly to rinse out excess salts.
- For potted plants, slow releasing fertilizers is ideal as it competes with the plant if there is less nitrogen available.
- It is a good idea to buffer the coco-peat with calcium nitrate solution. Soak it in a calcium nitrate solution. Then wash a couple of times with water.
- Grass slips are planted in coco peat layer. Over which c-pom is sprinkled. One can choose which type of grass one wants for home lawns.
Directions To Use :
- Being 100 percent natural and organic, it is an excellent growing medium for hydroponics.
- They make excellent bedding for the growth of earthworms.The plants grown in coco-peat are healthier producing strong and fibrous roots.
- Being resistant to harmful microbial and fungal growth, they are great for seed starters and seed raisers. They provide quick rooting and faster germination.
Coco Peat Powder For Seed Germination:
- Coco peat powder can be used for all kinds of seeds such as flowers, herbs and vegetables.
- Gardening plants can also be benefited with Coco peat.
- It restores water content of plants & allows air circulation for good germination.
- Loosens heavy soil & promotes the healthy growth of plants.
- It remains moist for longer duration; hence, less watering required.
- Cocopeat is a quality product with an environmentally sustainable future that is available at an affordable price.
- It is an excellent soil conditioner that can hold up to eight times its volume in moisture. It’s completely natural.